Zum Inhalt der Seite springen
Bild:Logo Studierendenwerk Kassel

Services of the Studierendenwerk

Many of the services provided by the Studierendenwerk will accompany you during your studies at the University of Kassel: the dining halls, student housing, CampusClub... The University takes care of your classes, the library, and your studies. However, we know that going to class and learning are not the only things that matter. Studying at a university is also about meeting new people, having fun, and personal growth. Therefore, we take care of some things that might concern you outside of your academic life. The following is a brief overview of our services. We are here to help you tackle any questions and problems that may arise during your studies. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us or see us during our office hours!! Remember: We support every student at the University of Kassel - no matter where you are from. Good luck, have fun, and come see us!!! 

Do you need a place to live?

Studierendenwerk Kassel has 26 student halls with 1.092 rooms for students in Kassel and Witzenhausenl. Living in Studierendenwerk housing is a great way to meet German as well as other international students. Single and double apartments as well as single rooms in residential groups are available. Every residential hall has a common room, a laundry and dryer room as well as posibilities to park your bike.

For further information, including descriptions and photos of your housing options, current prices and contact person check:

A special offer for international students: Service-pack for International Students/Student Voucher

If you are interested, the Studierendenwerk also offers information and advice on how to find private accommodations in Kassel. You can find current offers from private landlords and residential communities at the Online Accomodation Exchange.


Corona / Covid 19

If you come from a corona risk area, you must go directly into a two-week domestic quarantine after your arrival in Germany. Please take this into account when planning. Inform yourself about the valid Entry restrictions. If possible, only travel to Germany if you have a room or an apartment safely. If you want to move into a student hall of the Studierendenwerk and have to go into domestic quarantine, please contact your student hall administrator.


Studierendenwerk Kassel
Studentisches Wohnen

Moritzstraße 18, third floor
34127 Kassel
Tel.: +49 561 804-2564
Office hours Monday to Thursday 10a.m.-3p.m.

Your contact person in Witzenhausen:
Studierendenwerk Kassel
Harald Mentz
Tel.: +49 5542 981-260
Office hours Monday to Thursday 10a.m.-12p.m.

Are you hungry?

No matter where you are on the university’s campus, there is a Studierendenwerk cafeteria or dining hall nearby! In all of the dining halls, you can choose from up to 4 different entrees and a number of different side dishes. For the student price, you can pick one entrée and 2 side dishes. Because your dietary preferences are taken into consideration, we offer vegetarian, non-dairy, organic, as well as religious-friendly options. If you don’t see something that fits your dietary needs, just ask!

No time to eat in the dining hall between classes? No problem! The Studierendenwerk’s cafeterias have sandwiches, snacks and drinks that you can grab when you are in a hurry.

See what we offer in our dining halls.

Are you low on cash?

The Studierendenwerk is also responsible for handling the government educational assistance called BAföG. Students can get BAföG throughout their studies at the University of Kassel. The government aid is partly a loan and party a grant. Special rules apply to international students.
For more information, please contact us at T. +49 561 804-2551.

Another place for international students to turn to for financial advice or help is our Social Advice Center. Mr. Mike Pillardyknows a lot about the different funding and scholarships available to international students in Kassel and Germany, and can find something that fits you!
Open office hours without prior registration: Monday to Wednesday 1-3pm
Adress: Campus Center, Moritzstraße 18, Zimmer 3303
Additional appointments for consultation can be arranged by telephone or E-Mail.
Mr. Mike Pillardy
T. +49 561 804-2564
Email: sozialberatung((at))studierendenwerk.uni-kassel.de

Do you need advice?

A new beginning is always tough! The first few days in Kassel may be very stressful and exhausting. Everything is new and different: the environment, the people, the language. But don't worry: After a few weeks you will feel a lot more comfortable! You will make new friends and get used to the German way of life. However, if you are still feeling homesick, have trouble adjusting to life in Kassel, or just need to talk, our psychosocial advice center (PBS) is here to help you.
A new environment can be unsettling, perhaps you feel lonely and disoriented, miss your family and friends at home. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness but shows courage. Take advantage of our support and talk to our advisors about your situation. Together we can discuss your problem and find a solution. Have confidence in us and stop by for a nonbinding first consultation.

Our social advice center, run by Mr. Mike Pillardy, offers a wide-range of advice for German and international students. He can give you information regarding financing your studies, scholarships, university resources, and self-help groups. He also can help you in financial or personal crisis-situations. International students who come to Kassel with their children are not eligible for government aid but it is still worthwhile to meet with Mr. Pillardy. He can give you a number of tips on studying with children, where to find a daycare, etc. Call  +49 561 804-2564.

The Studierendenwerk also offers legal advisingfor students at the University of Kassel, free of charge. Legal advising is available on Wednesdays all year long, both during the semester and semester breaks. Please ask for Mr. Schramm. For more information see here

Our Social Services staff provide advising and counselling on an appointment or "walk-in" basis. We speak both English and German, and we are bound to observe confidentiality.

Do you want to meet new people?

Every monday, intercultural events take place at CampusClub at Max Kade Haus, campus Holländischer Platz, right next to the LEO.
Students from all over the world come together here to hang out, talk and celebrate. Enjoy with other students a semester full of cultural events and parties right on Campus.

Bild:Logo Universität KasselBild:Logo Kassel