Zum Inhalt der Seite springen
Bild:Logo Studierendenwerk Kassel

Federal Registration Law

According to the Federal Registration Law (Bundesmeldegesetz) students are obliged to register officially with the city authorities within two weeks of moving to the city. In case of moving they have to unregister.

The required form can be obtained from our office by occupants of the student halls during office hours.

Students living in Kassel, may also use the Department of Residence Service, located in Campus Center, Moritzstraße 18.

Please note: The City of Kassel charges a tax for so called "Zweitwohnungen" (second home residences). Ask the Department of Residence Service, what this means for you.

Accommodation Entitlement Certificate (Wohnberechtigungsschein)

This certificate, which is necessary for renting subsidized accommodation, is available to practically all students who satisfy the income conditions (1 person currently € 12.000 gross annual income).

The certificate entitles people to rent subsidized accommodation up to a max. of 50 m².

Accurate information (e.g. if the accommodation is shared among several people) is available from the housing authority (Wohnungsamt), where the application is to be made. The following documents are required: identity card (Personalausweis) or passport, if necessary with residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis), as well as certificate of matriculation and evidence of income, such as student financial assistance (BAföG) or support.



Please note that the accommodation entitlement certificates are basically issued by the appropriate local authorities (Gemeindeverwaltungen). So, if you live in Baunatal, for example, it is the authority there that is responsible for your application.

Subsidized Accommodation (Sozialwohnungen)

If you have no luck finding accommodation, we suggest looking at the area of publicly supported accommodation. To rent subsidized accommodation an accommodation entitlement certificate (Wohnberechtigungsbescheinigung) is required, which is to be applied for, along with housing allowance (Wohngeld), at the housing authority (Wohnungsamt).
Construction companies that rent out subsidized accommodation:


Housing Allowance (Wohngeld)

Housing support is approved for single students, when all other conditions are satisfied, only if they are not entitled to a student financial assistance (BaföG). This applies when, for example, they change their subject, exceed the age limit or the time limit imposed on loans. Housing support is also possible if the student's state financial assistance is only in the form of a loan.

Bild:Logo Universität KasselBild:Logo Kassel