Zum Inhalt der Seite springen
Bild:Logo Studierendenwerk Kassel

FAQ Corona / Covid 19

Questions on BAföG

I won't be able to complete my studies in the standard period of study. Can I get one semester longer BAföG? (March, 10)

Yes, the standard period of study will be extended by each one semester for all students enrolled in the summer semester 2020, winter semester 2020/21 and summer semester 2021. This means that BAföG recipients will also receive one semester longer BAföG if their standard period of study or maximum duration of support ends after the deadline of 15 March 2020.
Very important: Nothing is going to work without an application. Therefore, please submit your application for further support via BAföG as soon as possible. Let us advise you if you have any questions.



I cannot provide proof of performance at the end of the fourth semester. (March, 10)

The summer semester 2020 as well as the winter semester 2020/21 and summer semester 2021 are considered a so-called "0-semester". BAföG-supported students therefore do not have to submit the proof of performance until one or two semesters later. Let us advise you if you have any questions.


I have financed my studies myself so far, but due to the current situation I am without income.

If you are an international student, please contact the social counseling team.


Due to the current circumstances, I cannot submit all of the necessary documents for my BAföG application.

In order to meet the BAföG deadline, it is important that you submit the application first in order to begin the processing. In principle, it is of course best if you already provide all available documents together. If documents are missing, you can also submit them later. We will inform you on which documents exactly are missing.


Because of the Corona pandemic I would like to take a semester off.

In principle, the University of Kassel only grants a semester's leave of absence if certain reasons exist, for example, because of an illness that precludes proper study, or for maternity and parental leave. The Corona Pandemic is currently not yet one of these reasons for leave. In addition, a semester of leave is always to be regarded as a break from studies. During this time, one is not entitled to BAföG funding because there is no study activity. If necessary, alternative services according to SGB II (basic security) may be considered during a semester of leave. Therefore, we recommend that you obtain good advice in advance about financing a semester of leave, for example from our Social Counselling Team.


My parents are acutely affected by the current situation and have no more or a smaller income. Does this change my BAföG entitlement?

If you have not yet received BAföG at all or the maximum rate of BAföG due to the level of parental income, you can have the income situation of your parents reviewed again. This is possible with the so-called update application. We will then check whether BAföG entitlement exists or adjust the BAföG grant amount. The form is available here (German language only).


I work in a systemically relevant profession. Will this be taken into account in my BAföG entitlement? (June, 23)

Yes, in order for a commitment in systemically relevant profession to be worthwhile for BAföG recipients, additional income earned in a systemically relevant occupation from 1 March 2020 onwards will not be credited. And this will last until the German Bundestag has declared the end of the pandemic. This applies both to new jobs as well as to additional working hours. If you have previously worked in a systemically relevant profession, the income from this will continue to be credited at the previous level, but additional working hours will not be credited.

The special regulation does not apply to your parents, siblings or other relatives. Nor does it apply to income from compulsory internships etc. (Article 23(3) BAföG).

Which occupational groups are considered to be systemically relevant varies from one federal state to another. (See among others: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bsi-kritisv/BSI-KritisV.pdf  , https://dip21.bundestag.de/dip21/btd/19/186/1918699.pdf). If you are unsure whether you work in one of the professions concerned, please talk to your BAföG advisor.



I have more questions concerning BAföG...

You can find a lot of information about BAföG at www.bafög.de And, of course you can ask us by phone or e-mail. We will gladly help you.

Questions about financing of studies outside BAföG

As a student on the job, could I also receive short-time work benefits (= Kurzarbeitergeld)?

No, unfortunately not. Jobbing students are exempt from health, nursing and unemployment insurance. And those who don't pay into unemployment insurance can't get short-time work benefits (= Kurzarbeitergeld).
The Social Counselling Team and the Student Financing Advice Service are still available and will advise you by e-mail or phone.


What can I do if I cannot pay my health insurance, rent, mobile phone bill etc. now?

You should contact your health insurance company, your apartment rental agency, your mobile phone contract company, ARD ZDF Deutschlandradio Beitragsservice ... and ask for an extension of the payment deadlines and possibly for a reminder block. Perhaps you can also pay a reduced amount for the time being.
The Social Counselling Team and the Student Financing Advice Service are still available and will advise you by e-mail or telephone.


Am I currently entitled to Unemployment benefits if I lose my job or do not receive my wages?

This can only be considered in exceptional cases: In cases of hardship, e.g. in the case of a loss of financing through no fault of your own and advanced studies, benefits can be checked by the Job Centre as a loan in accordance with § 27 Paragraph 3 SGB II. Please ask the Social Counselling Team by telephone or e-mail whether benefits are possible.



I lost my job. Where can I find job offers?

Perhaps you will find what you are looking for on the website of the employment agency:
Right now, certain sectors are desperately seeking reinforcement:
- Delivery services for food and beverages
- Supermarkets, grocery stores
- Building cleaners
- Petrol stations
- Agricultural helpers for the harvest time in: https://www.daslandhilft.de/
- Pharmacies
- Drugstores
- Post offices
- Hospitals
- Call centers
- Babysitting

I have questions about my mini job, who can help me?

Depending on what kind of job you have or how your contract is structured, you will find information here:

I am self-employed/freelancer alongside my studies and have lost my orders due to official restrictions or cannot carry them out. Do I have claims for compensation according to the German Protection against Infection Act (IFSG)?

Please read up on this:
If you are affected by a measure according to IfSG, it is best to get advice by telephone as soon as possible. On Thursdays, the Studierendenwerk Kassel offers expert and free legal advice for students by e-mail or telephone.



Where can I get financial help? Do I have to or can I take out a loan?

If you have questions about financial help, please contact the social counselling service of the Studierendenwerk. If you are considering a student loan, obtain various offers and compare them carefully. It is best to inform yourself in advance about the different possibilities at the student finance advisory service by telephone or e-mail.
Here you will find answers on the topics KfW student loan, education loan and scholarships


How do I finance the degree? I have to study one semester or year longer, how do I manage this financially?

More Advice

I'm very concerned about the changes Corona brings. They're turning my life upside down. Who can I talk to about this? (April, 7)

There's a phone line at the psych center of the Studierendenwerk. Make the call. T. 0561 804 2800, Monday 1pm-2pm, Thursday, 11am-12 noon.
The advice centre also offers a video consultation hour. The best way to make an appointment is to send an e-mail to beratung((at))studierendenwerk.uni-kassel.de or simply call T. 0561 804 2800.
Both offers are also aimed at those students who are already in a counselling process, but who are no longer able to get personal appointments.

Here we have gathered further contact points in case of emergency.



I need legal advice - do I get it despite Corona?

You can reach the   legal advisor by e-mail or telephone on Thursdays between 2pm - 4.30pm.



Are the childcare facilities of the Studierendenwerk open?

Yes. Strict hygiene and distance regulations apply. Please contact the respective team for information on everything you need to know.


CampusCard / Mensa

Can I eat at the mensa again or take a break in the cafeteria?

Here you can find out which canteens or cafeterias in Kassel and Witzenhausen are open and what they offer.
Come by without worrying - of course, we strictly adhere to all Corona requirements in all canteens and cafeterias.

What will happen to my bonus points on the CampusCard now?

Don't worry, they won't expire. The collected bonus points can still be redeemed at the cash desks of the open canteens and cafeterias.


Can I top up and validate my CampusCard? (March, 8, 2021)

At the locations where canteens and/or cafeterias are open, you will also find the cash-to-card stations for topping up your CampusCard. Here you can read where exactly the recharging stations are located. The validation stations are also accessible.

Can I transfer or withdraw CampusCard credit now?

Yes, all incoming applications are processed. And if you have CampusCard questions, please write to campuscard@studierendenwerk.uni-kassel.de . We will be happy to answer them.

Student Accommodation

I have received confirmation from the University of Kassel, but have not yet found an apartment or room. Can I also take care of finding accommodation after arrival? (March, 8, 2021)

Due to entry and quarantine regulations, we strongly recommend that you only arrive if you already have a room/apartment safely. Because if you come from a Corona risk area, you must go directly to your room / apartment and into a 10 to 14 days domestic quarantine after your arrival.
You should therefore apply for a room or apartment in a student hall in Kassel or Witzenhausen as soon as possible.
If you are looking for vacant rooms on the private housing market, you might find them at the Online Accommodation Exchange of the Studierendenwerk.

Here you can find the current entry restrictions




I come from abroad to my student hall in Kassel or Witzenhausen. Do I have to pay attention to anything? (October 16, 2020)

People who have been in a Coroa risk area during the last fourteen days prior to entry must enter a domestic quarantine immediately upon arrival in Hesse and inform the health authority responsible for their place of residence. During the quarantine, they must also refrain visits. This applies even if they show no symptoms. All further steps are regulated by the health authorities.
If you have any questions about your stay in the student hall now, please contact your clerk in charge.


Kassel: Registration form for people entering Kassel, Current Regulations by the City of Kassel

Witzenhausen: Current Information by the City of Witzenhausen, Information about Infectious Diseases


Official information on travel restrictions and quarantine

Since I come from a risk area, I have to go directly into domestic quarantine after my arrival in Kassel. Is there any help for the arrival and the first time after? (March 11, 2021)

If you have a lease agreement for a room in a student hall of the Studierendenwerk in Kassel or Witzenhausen, we can support you. Please contact your student hall administrator.

Information on Qurantine by the Uni Kassel.

Hand-over of keys: Please contact your student hall administrator two weeks before your arrival in Kassel by phone or e-mail to arrange an appointment for handing over the keys and the room. Please inform us at the latest then that you have to go into quarantine.
You will receive the key to your room at a so-called "Keyboy" - your student hall administrator will inform you how to do this.
If the key hand-over with the Keyboy is not possible, someone from the Student Housing Team will meet you at the student hall at the agreed time. There you will receive the keys in accordance with the rules of distance and hygiene.
Should something not work in the room or not meet your expectations, you can report this online.


Equipment: Please ask your student hall administrator how your room is equipped. Think about which utensils you will need in the beginning and what you can bring yourself. You are not allowed to go grocery shopping or leave your dormitory room during the domestic quarantine. The Studierendenwerk offers various starter packages with kitchen equipment and linen items. If you are interested, write an e-mail to your student hall administrator. She will then clarify the organizational matters with you.


Food: You will need food for the time of the domestic quarantine. Since you are not allowed to buy food yourself during the quarantine period, you will need assistance. On kassel-hilft.de you will find a number of organisations that may be able to do the shopping for you. Voluntary helpers are involved here. Please inquire in advance whether someone is available. Various supermarket chains offer a delivery service by post. Information on prices and conditions is available online.


  • The DAAD is offering the possibility to recompense additional costs arising from a corona quarantine for international students. This includes costs that are directly related to the quarantine (e.g. for overnight stays at a hotel) or to avoid the quarantine (e.g. corona test). Please talk to your student hall administrator if you need assistance.


What do I have to consider if I have to go into domestic quarantine in the student hall? (March 11, 2021)

During the domestic quarantine you are not allowed to leave the apartment or room. It is also not allowed to take out the garbage, go to the post box or go grocery shopping.
If you live in a shared flat, all flatmates will probably also have to be quarantined. You can get reliable information about this from the responsible health authority. The hygiene regulations must be strictly observed. On www.infektionsschutz.de you will find information posters to download and print. It is important to wash your hands regularly and to clean the sanitary rooms and kitchen thoroughly. In addition, you should air all rooms, but especially shared rooms, as often as possible, but at least four times a day for 10 minutes each.



I have to go into domestic quarantine - what about my flat share? (March 11, 2021)

You can obtain reliable information on this from the responsible public health authority. In general, a distinction is made between flat shares and so-called hallway shares. In a flat-sharing community the quarantine normally applies to all persons, in a hallway-sharing community it is sufficient to stay in one's own room and to enter the common rooms as little as possible and only when no other persons are present. Important: Do not share household items such as dishes and laundry with other people. After using shared sanitary facilities and kitchens, you must clean them directly.


Do I have to inform my neighbours or the Studierendenwerk / my landlord if I have to be quarantined? (August 20, 2020)

No, usually not. Unless you've had any direct personal contact recently. If you live in the student hall and need help with shopping, for example, you can contact your student hall tutor by phone or e-mail to network with others in the student hall. You can also contact your student hall administrator. She will be happy to check how we can support you.

I am in financial difficulties and temporarily unable to pay the rent for my room in the student hall. What happens now? (March 11, 2021)

Please talk as soon as possible to the clerk in charge for your student hall.


Because of Corona I can’t leave and would like to keep my student hall room longer than planned … (March 11, 2021)

Please contact your clerk in charge as soon as possible. She will clarify with you whether you can keep the room or move to another one.


I urgently need more information about my Student Hall - tenancy agreement, moving in and out, termination ...

Please contact your clerk in charge. She will clarify everything with you. Even if there are no personal office hours at the moment, you can reach the team of Student Accommodation via e-mail and telephone.


Bild:Logo Universität KasselBild:Logo Kassel