The Studierendenwerk is divided into four service areas:
- The area of commercial enterprises
- with the departments Student Housing and University Gastronomy,
- the area of consulting & student financing,
- the head office and the building and real estate administration
Staff units have been set up for the areas of Legal Affairs, Communication & International Affairs, Auditing and Quality Management as well as Childcare.
The organs of the Studierendenwerk are the administrative board and the managing director. The board of directors consists of six members.
- Chairwoman Prof. Dr. Ute Clement, President of the University, represented by the Chancellor, Dr. Oliver Fromm
- Representative of the professors Prof. Dr. Petra Freudenberger-Lötz
- Student representatives Robert Wöhler, Sophie Eltzner
- Representative of the Studierendenwerk Employees Reinhold Wetzig, Claudia Beinhoff
- Managing Director and Budget Agent Assessor Christa Ambrosius
Excerpts from the performance figures Leistungszahlen 2020 (PDF).
- Due to the Corona pandemic only 406.000 million meals were served in the dining halls and 508.000 Euros werde exchanged in the cafeterias
- 4,798 BAföG applications received around 24 million euros in subsidies
- 2,005 applications for Aufstiegs-BAföG were supported with about 6.5 million Euros in funding (only grant portion)
- around 1,100 places in 26 student halls were made available and managed
- in two kindergartens in Kassel and Witzenhausen up to 84 children of different age groups were cared for and flexible daycare was offered at "studykidscare"
- 1,863 people did seek advice in general social advisory service
- 1,840 Therapy interviews were conducted in the psychological advisory centre
- 479 Legal advices were provided
The work of the Studierendenwerk is financed by:
- Turnover (36,8 %)
- Student Semester Fee(27,8 %)
- Grants from the Hessian Ministry of Science and the Arts (16,3 %)
- Expense reimbursements for implementing BAföG and AFBG (7,6 %)
- othersubsidies (9,5 %)
- other income (2 %)
(Figures for the year 2021)
Every student finances the work of the Studierendenwerk with 85 euros. This means that anyone who enrolls or re-registers at the University of Kassel pays this solidarity contribution together with other contributions once per semester to the University of Kassel. The Studierendenwerk contribution is set by the Hessian Ministry of Science and Art after consultation with the Board of Directors and the management.
This contribution of the students is obligatory: Our goal is to offer high-quality products and services and to satisfy the different needs and demands of our customers.
We are happy to meet this challenge. Although all service areas have to operate economically, we do our utmost to identify the needs of our students and to meet them precisely.
Two-thirds of the student semester contributions are used to offer all students, and especially students in social need, a healthy, tasty and inexpensive meal. Only thanks to the contribution of the students it is possible, for example, to be able to sell the particularly favorable vegan meal 1 for 2.50 euros including two side dishes. In addition, special services for students are financed by the semester fees: Free legal counseling, social and psychological advisory services as well as student finance counseling would not be possible without semester fees.